Acne can be as annoying as painful- dampening your self-esteem and making you feel irritable and sensitive. Acne and red spots on skin the condition lead to various types of bumps, cysts, pimples, and whiteheads and blackheads. Acne is usually caused by pores clogged by oil produced due to hormones (testosterone), dead skin cells, and comedogenic (pore-clogging) skincare products.
When the pores are clogged, the white blood cells reach the site, resulting in painful pus-filled lesions. Any best dermatologist in India will suggest that to address the problem of acne. One can begin by adopting a basic skincare routine. The skin, especially the face, shall be kept clean and moisturized.
The severity of acne is classified as Grade 1 (mild), Grade 2 (moderate or postular), Grade 3 (moderately severe or nodulocystic), and Grade 4 (severe nodulocystic). Based on the severity of the acne, the dermatologists suggest one of the following treatments get a clear skin-
1. Use of Medicines- Medicines like retinoid, adapalene, and benzoyl peroxide wash are used for 6 to 8 weeks to treat blackheads and whiteheads. These medicines eliminate the excessive bacteria called P.acnes from the skin.
2. Comedo Extraction- If the blemishes persist after taking the medication, as referred to in point 1 above, the dermatologist may prescribe comedo extraction, which is the medical term for extracting blackheads and whiteheads.
3. Hormonal Therapy- Dermatologists commonly use two hormonal therapies: oral contraceptive pills and spironolactone. These therapies are used for women only as there have been severe side effects when men have used these therapies. In women’s cases, due care and caution need to be taken while taking these medicines.
4. Laser and light therapy- Laser and light therapy can target scarred collagen and kill the acne-causing bacteria by exposing it to heat/different types of light. The new, healthy collagen helps in the development of new skin. Also, oil glands are shrunk, which reduces oil production. Some of the best dermatologists in India are increasingly using these therapies to treat acne and acne scars.
5. Steroids- When the Acne gets severe and there are painful lumps beneath the skin, steroid injections are used for quick healing. These injections can clear up the skin within days, but they can lead to thinning of the skin. These are hence used as an occasional treatment measure.
6. Chemical Peels- Under this, dermatologists apply a mild chemical to the skin, which helps unclog the pores, remove dead skin cells, and aid new skin growth. This method is used to treat mild acne and might require multiple sessions.
Book an appointment to get a feasible solution for your acne problem with expert consultation at the hands of the best dermatologist in India.
Top Dermatologists in India
Some of the best dermatologists in India are-
1. Dr. Hemant Sharma- MBBS, MD- Sr Consultant, BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
2. Dr. Divya Chaudhary- MBBS, MD – Visiting Consultant, BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
3. Dr. Indu Ballani- MBBS, MD- Visiting Consultant, BLK Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi